Your calling is about who you are and who you will become. Calling is about your purpose in life, and following it helps you live a life that truly reflects your priorities, values and desires. This page is designed to give you some of the best resources from the blog in one handy spot. It’s like one-stop shopping for all the answers to the common questions about calling like: Do I have a calling? If I do, what is my calling? and How do I find and follow my calling?
These are important questions to explore and there are a few different ways to get started:
- First: If you want the best of everything I’ve written in a simple easy-to-digest format, I recommend buying my Kindle book on Amazon, B&N or Smashwords (has formats for all other devices). It’s a fast read and you don’t have to sit at the computer!
- Second: Bookmark this page right now. Then you can relax and explore more whenever you want. I’ve compiled links to great information on my blog as well as on other websites. From this point on, it’s choose your own adventure. When you’re done following one trail, come back to this page and explore another one.
Resources on the My Calling IQ Website
It’s helpful to understand what a “calling” actually is before you start trying to answer, “What is my calling?” Here are some blog posts that explore different definitions and dimensions.
- Calling through Multiple Lenses
- Labor Day & The Meaning of Work
- Components of Calling Series
- So wait . . . What exactly is a Calling again?
Why do we have callings?
Maybe you’ve never thought about having a calling and aren’t sure you need to bother with the idea. These blog posts dig into why any of this matters.
Sometimes, reading about other people’s stories helps us figure out our own. You’ll find real life stories from ordinary people like you and me, as well as stories from famous people, historical characters and even fictional characters!
What is My Calling?
Practicing self-awareness and listening are two key ways to recover your sense of calling in life. Here are some practical tips to try:
Overcoming Obstacles to Calling
Knowing what gets in the way, helps us prepare to face the trials and temptations that keep us from our callings.
On the Resources page you’ll find my Amazon store with all my favourite books on calling, work and faith!
These websites also discuss these topics on an ongoing basis and are worth exploring:
- Q: Ideas for the Common Good
- The Washington Institute for Faith, Vocation & Culture
- Theology of Work Project
- Le Tourneau’s Center for Faith & Work
- Redeemer Presbyterian’s Center for Faith & Work
You have a purpose in this life, a reason to expend your energy in building hope. Pursuing your calling means that you’re living the most fulfilling life you could. It’s a real-life adventure with risks, doubts, trials and rewards. You will be happiest if you are living in line with what you are called to do.
Ultimately, the point of having a call and the importance of following it comes down to why you were created: to reflect God’s glory. Because each of us is unique there are millions of different reflections of that goodness, perfection and love.
Did you like what you read?
If you found this page helpful, consider getting more involved here:
- Share this link with your friends through email or Facebook or Twitter (Tweet it). My dream is that all of us would experience the freedom and hope that comes from accepting who we are and using our gifts to serve in our own unique ways.
- You’re welcome to contact me directly! I’d love to hear your story or hear your questions. I can’t guarantee that I’ll have an answer but I’ll probably be able to point you in the right direction.
- If you read my book, I’d be honoured if you shared your opinion by writing a review for me on Amazon.